Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Project - Kahlua, the Zebrog!

I've been wanting to do this one for a while, but simply have not had the guts to try it. Zebra's are hard to do, all those stripes get so confusing, I end up erasing so much that I get frustrated and give up. I have attempted to draw zebra's several times, but they never made it past the initial sketch because it just didn't turn out the way I wanted. I have completed one zebra (just the head) and wasn't really that happy with how it turned out. I think I could have done better. So this drawing has just been on my "to draw" list (yes, I do actually have a list, lol) for a while now.

But I just recently saw a piece that Brandy Perez posted on her blog, that has inspired me to finally go for it. I really admire her detail and strive to acheive that kind of detail in my own work. For now, I can only hope that mine will turn out as good as hers. Her little Zemoo is adorable...hopefully my dog will be too.

So here is the first post, I'm sorry the picture is a little dark, I took it at 11pm with my ottlite over to the side. I will try to take the next update in full natural light.

This is 16x20 on sand colored Ampersand Pastelbord. I think it was a little easier doing the stripes on Kahlua, because knowing she didn't have the same shape as a zebra, I wasn't trying to follow them exact. Just as long as it looked zebra-ish. lol. Also, this time I thought to color in the stripes as I drew them, so it was a little less confusing on what was black and what was white. This one is proving to be fun instead of frustrating, so I may end up doing more zebra OR zebrogs if I'm happy with the way this one turns out. My fiance said that I should have drawn her attacking something, so maybe that will be next. I have plenty of pictures of Kahlua attacking random toys and tearing them to shreds, so that could be an idea for a future zebrog. lol.

2 comments:

  1. This is looking good, looking forward to the next post! I have an award for you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete