Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween!

I love Halloween! When they announced a costume contest at work this year, I jumped right on it. I've had it in my head for the past several months that I wanted to be a dead bride for Halloween this year. Seems only appropriate since I'm getting married in less than 4 months. lol. Wow...how time flies! I looked online for months to find a dress and even looked into the possibility of making my own dress. But I couldn't find anything I liked. I was about ready to just order an adult Corpse Bride costume from Halloween Express online, but I was really feeling like that would not be an appropriate costume for work. When they announced the contest at work, I clocked out for lunch and grabbed a co-worker and dragged her to thrift stores in the area looking for a dress that would work. The third store we stopped at was Goodwill, and there was this beautiful wedding dress on a manniquin right in the front of the store...it was exactly what I was looking for. I tried it on and it fit like a glove. It was $49.99, but how could I turn it down?? When we got to the register, my co-worker asked for a discount, and they gave me the dress for $34!! It was like it was meant to be! So I spent the rest of the week planning the details....I bought fake french manicured nails on sale for $3 at CVS, and I used nail clippers to make them jagged and cracked. I used an old dirty gold and cubic zirconia ring that I had for my engagement ring. I bought a small bouquet of carnations and just let them die, then I wrapped them in pearls for my dead bouquet. A few toy roaches and rats....a little fake blood...and my costume won me first place in the contest!


I don't think I can top that next year. But we'll see. lol.

Now that Halloween is over...it's time to concentrate on Christmas. I will be designing and drawing my annual Christmas card very soon. I will post when that is finished. I also have a few more 5x7 portraits that I want to draw and I do have my paper now...so I'll try to work that in as well. I hope you all had a very Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

  1. you look great :) its so nice seeing someone putting together their costume instead of buying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I'm a stickler for details...so even if I did have to buy one, I would have embellished it quite a bit. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME costume!! You did an amazing job - I love it:)

    ReplyDelete